When learning how to get rid of ants in your house naturally, locating the source of ants is essential. Finding the most effective treatment for ants depends on the type of ants you have invading your house.
Each species has different behaviors, preferences in food, and treatments that will be effective in keeping ants out of your home.
The most common ant: Odorous house ants will leave a chemical pheromone trail wherever they travel.
Very Affordable Treatment
Save yourself money and chemicals by trying a simple, three ingredient solution that will get rid of ants in your home. This solution was the cheapest method, using only items that I happened to have at home.
You will find these ants anywhere you have sweets laying around. If you kill them, other ants will simply follow the trail and show up in the same places. For this reason, kill the entire colony.
When you see the first few ants, you can sponge them (and the surrounding area) with soapy water to eliminate the pheromone trail. Immediately work to figure out where they’re getting into your house, and begin placing homemade ant bait at the entry points.
Supplies needed to get rid of ants
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Borax (find at Walmart or Target in the laundry aisle.)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- Cotton balls or paper towel
1. Mix the Borax and sugar together until well combined.
2. Mix the sugar and borax to warm water and stir until the powder has been completely dissolved.
3. Use only what you need and seal the mixture in a jar or container for future use. Label the jar, as it will just look like water. Do not leave this where children can get to it.
4. Fill some jar lids, milk caps, or other shallow containers with cotton balls or a wad of paper towel.
5. Add the sugar-Borax solution to the prepared lids making sure to soak the cotton balls (or paper towel).
6. It may take the ants a while to find the solution, however once they do, let them feast. Let the ants take the bait back to the nest. Tto speed up the finding process, placed a couple of the soaked cotton balls directly on the ledge in the area where most of the ants were spotted.
Simple home remedies can be simple and effective controlling pest. Please take all necessary precautions and treat these remedies as toxic and keep labeled and away from children and pets.