If your dog or cat has fleas and you are getting frustrated from using sprays or chemical that have very little affect. The source of the fleas will most likely be your yard. Fleas can be transported through wild birds, squirrels and other cats and dogs. What is the best flea control for yards? A great all around flea solution is Diatomaceous Earth.
How Does It Work?
Diatomaceous earth (DE) as a natural, safe insecticide to get rid of fleas and use a preventative. The benefit of food grade Diatomaceous earth is safe to use around the home and is an effective home treatment for killing fleas. Diatomaceous earth powder kills fleas by causing them to dehydrate when the powder gets onto their outer shell and contact their inner body and dries out.
Coordinating Your Treatment
Fleas have a knack for surviving, but they are not invincible. You must not only treat your pet, but also your pets bedding, carpet and lawn.
- Thoroughly vacuum areas where your pet spends time to get rid of any flea eggs.
- Make sure that your pet’s blankets and bed are lightly covered with the powder. After 2-3 days, vacuum the area again to remove any dead fleas, eggs, or larvae.Apply diatomaceous earth a week later to help get rid of fleas for good.
- Give your pet a thorough bath, using a moisturizing shampoo. This is because the diatomaceous earth that was sprinkled around the home can dry out the skin of your pet. Once your pet is dry, use a flea comb to remove any dead fleas and eggs from your pet’s fur.
Continue the treatment for fleas for another 2-3 weeks to make sure you break the life cycle of fleas to get rid of them.
For Your Yard
- It can be used for killing fleas in your lawn & garden. Just remember to use it when the grass is completely dry as moisture will significantly reduce its effectiveness. Fleas thrive in moist, shaded conditions. Lawns with fungal problems usually are a good spot for flea growth.
- Spread throughout your yard, focusing on areas where your pets normally hang out. Wear a dust mask during application. Make sure your lawn and garden are dry when spreading out diatomaceous earth.
Food grade diatomaceous earth without added chemicals is safe to use around the home and is non-toxic for children and pets. There are still a few precautions you should take into consideration when using diatomaceous earth for controlling fleas.
- Diatomaceous earth can dry out your skin and your pet’s skin. Therefore, it is best to always wear gloves when handling. Don’t use it on your pet’s skin on a daily basis, and use a small amount
- Diatomaceous earth powder is very fine, so you should use a good vacuum cleaner to remove it from carpets and bedding.
- Always use “food grade” diatomaceous earth for flea control and elimination.
- Make sure that all areas that you treat with diatomaceous earth are kept dry. Diatomaceous earth is an effective natural pesticide only when it is completely dry.
Where to Find Diatomaceous Earth?
Make sure to look for a brand that is food grade, meaning that it is safe to ingest You can find diatomaceous earth in many lawn & gardening stores. If you plan to to buy food grade diatomaceous earth, buy your product from a natural health food store.
0 comments on “Best Flea Control For Yards – Diatomaceous Earth”Add yours →